Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Review: Relic - By Renee Collins



Author: Renee Collins
Website
Release Date: 8/27/2013v
Purchase Info: Amazon ~ B&N

After a raging fire consumes her town and kills her parents, Maggie Davis is on her own to protect her younger sister and survive best she can in the Colorado town of Burning Mesa. In Maggie’s world, the bones of long-extinct magical creatures such as dragons and sirens are mined and traded for their residual magical elements, and harnessing these relics’ powers allows the user to wield fire, turn invisible, or heal even the worst of injuries.

Working in a local saloon, Maggie befriends the spirited showgirl Adelaide and falls for the roguish cowboy Landon. But when she proves to have a particular skill at harnessing the relics’ powers, Maggie is whisked away to the glamorous hacienda of Álvar Castilla, the wealthy young relic baron who runs Burning Mesa. Though his intentions aren’t always clear, Álvar trains Maggie in the world of relic magic. But when the mysterious fires reappear in their neighboring towns, Maggie must discover who is channeling relic magic for evil before it’s too late.

Relic is a thrilling adventure set in a wholly unique world, and a spell-binding story of love, trust, and the power of good.

Unique, and breath taking!

I'm not going to lie, this is nothing like what I was expecting, which is a good thing. As my first line states unique, that word fits this book like a glove. Blending a genuine old west setting with a magical element that keeps every character on their toes, really kept me into this book until the absolute end. 

Maggie, to me, was a great heroine. Attempting to find balance after such a life shattering event is hard, but she does what is necessary while maintaining moral, values and a good head on her should. Taking a job, making an honest living....that is until the very handsome Mr. Castilla makes her an offer she finds that not even she can turn down.
 No she doesn't turn into his mistress (I thought that's where it was going), she starts learning about the different degrees of relics. From standard Sirens, to deadly Banshee, even the ultra rare - and outlawed - vampire relics. There isn't a single one that Mr. Castilla hasn't obtained. Maggie starts to realize there's something extremely special within her. The way she can feel  a relic is unlike any other, and of course Mr. Castilla wants to collect her rare ability like he collects rare relics!

There was a part, about 85% of the way through that I felt was a tad bit rushed....and unveiling of sort, if you wish to call it that....I wish that a little more time could had been spent digging into that secret, but I understand how the story line & side plots must all run their own course. 

So now I HAVE to talk about Landon, I swoon! <3333333
 Imagine wranglers, boots and a cowboy hat....mmmmmm...you get the picture. This boy stole my heart, and still hasn't given it back. The gentleness he holds for Maggie, the lengths that he'll go to just to ensure her safety, well being & dignity gives me chills. Every man should take notes from him!

Overall I really enjoyed this book! Relic was a deep breath of fresh air for me, it took any expectations that I had & morphed them into my wildest dreams. Take you favorite myths, splash them with magic, now add a dash of mystery, shake it all up & that will give you Relic!




4/5




1 comment:

Renee Collins said...

Thank you so much for the awesome review! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it. :)